The Captain’s House Boutique Hotel was built in 1896, the year of the first Olympic Games in Athens. Ιn 1973, Tasos Potamianos, the eldest son of the original owner Captain George Potamianos, repurchased the property and it has recently been restored by the family.
The family photograph in the reception area commemorates the visit of Princess Marie Bonaparte to the Captain’s House after the town of Preveza was liberated from the Turks in 1912.
Early photographs of the first ships of Captain George Potamianos decorate one wall of the drawing room.
Potamianos family hails from Pylaros Kefalonia. Main form was George Anastasios Potamianos (1868-1932), captain in small sailing boats in which he transported cargo from the mainland of Malta for the British fleet. Potamianos was installed in Preveza, in the early 20th century. Moved his office in Piraeus in 1912, and he renamed the company “Continental”.
After the end of World War gradually bought passenger steamers “Tassos”, “Elvira”, “Peter”,”Poppy”, “Fokion” and “Cimon” names of his wife and his children. His sons, Anastasios (1901-1975), Peter Kimon and Fokion continued shipping activities, founding the “Mainland steamboat Company” which developed after the war , while 1956, pioneered the field of cruise ship with the “Semiramis”. The sons of Anastassiou, George and Andrew (b. 1932), continued the family business , making the “Mainland” one of the leading companies internationally in this field.